First Nations research manuscript donated to Collingwood Public Library
On November 13, archaeologist Charles Garrad donated his original manuscript entitled Petun to Wyandot: The Ontario Petun from ca. 1580 A.D. to Local History Coordinator Carole Stuart of the Collingwood Public Library.
This document, printed in 2011, is the culmination of decades of research and study of the Petun First Nations People who lived in the Collingwood area 400 years ago.
The work was published in an edited version in 2014 by the Canadian Museum of History and the University of Ottawa Press, but Garrad felt it was important to preserve his manuscript in its entirety for future generations and be housed at the library located in the area that was home to the Petun.
Charles Garrad came to the Collingwood area originally as a skier. Here, he learned about a local farmer who, when plowing his fields in the spring, turned up pottery shards, arrow heads and fragments of “Indian” pipes, evidence of First Nations people who had lived here in earlier times. Upon viewing some of these artifacts his curiosity was peaked, and since that time he has devoted his life to the research and study of the Petun First Nations people who lived here 400 years ago.
Garrad began, along with a colleague, an Archaeological Survey of the Blue Mountains in an attempt to locate every Petun site found in existing records and to find others. In so doing, he participated in countless digs at the sites occupied by these indigenous people, studied the writings of the Jesuit fathers who lived with them in the 1600s following the discovery of the Petun by Champlain in 1616. He utilized all sources available including early maps, documents, and even visited France to research the Princess de Conde, who financed the Jesuit Mission to this area.
In 1990, he was the recipient “of the highest honour the Ontario Archaeological Society can bestow for non-professional archaeologist whose life work has been consistent of the highest standard and who has made an exceptional contribution to the development of Ontario Archaeology” – the J. Norman Emerson Silver Medal. In 2001, he was the first to receive the Margaret and James F. Pendergast Award recognizing “exemplary contributions to Canadian archaeology by an avocational archaeologist” by the Canadian Archaeological Association, and in 2010 he was awarded the Killarney Award for Outstanding Service by the Ontario Archaeological Society.
Charles Garrad’s manuscript will be housed in the Local History Collection of the Collingwood Public Library and be of interest to historians, students, and those interested in the early history of the South Georgian Bay area.
The Collingwood Public Library is committed to guiding our community in the pursuit of information, the wonder of lifelong learning, and the enrichment of social and cultural experiences. At the heart of the community, the Collingwood Public Library is an inclusive environment seeking universal accessibility.
PHOTO CAPTION: Archaeologist Charles Garrad (right) donates his original manuscript entitled Petun to Wyandot: The Ontario Petun from ca. 1580 A.D. to Local History Coordinator Carole Stuart of the Collingwood Public Library on November 13.
READ MORE … Charles Garrad ~ Petun to Wyandot